My answer to Is dementia related to all anti-cholinergics or just GABA-enhancing ones?
Answer by Connie b. Dellobuono:
To both and many neuro drugs including narcotics (tramadol,others).
These Sleep and Anxiety Drugs May Cause Dementia: Benzodiazepines – the chief inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain and its effects counteracts the actions of stimulants and excitatory neurotransmitters such as epinephrine
Medications to avoid or use briefly; Common drugs that might increase dementia risk ;
hydroxyzine (Atarax, Vistaril)
practicing relaxation techniques
avoiding alcohol and heavy meals before bedtime
exercising vigorously early in the day
weight loss for overweight or obese women
Minimally invasive procedures
implantable bladder stimulators
Possible effects of anticholinergics include:
- Decreased mucus production in the nose and; consequent dry, sore throat
- with possible acceleration of
- Stopping of; consequent decreased epidermal thermal dissipation leading to warm, blotchy, or red skin
- ; consequent sensitivity to bright light ( )
- Loss of accommodation (loss of focusing ability, blurred vision –)
- Tendency to be easily startled
- Diminished bowel movement, sometimes(decreases motility via the )
- Increased; dangerous for people with narrow-angle .
Sources: DeGage SB, et al. “Benzodiazepine use and risk of Alzheimer’s disease: Case-control study,” BMJ (Sept. 9, 2014), Vol. 351, published online; Salahudeen MS et al. “Anticholinergic burden quantified by anticholinergic risk scales and adverse outcomes in older people: A systematic review,” BMC Geriatrics (March 15, 2015), Vol.15, No.31, published online.