Being a constant companion to my 81 yr old mother takes up my Saturdays and Sundays but it help provide needed support for her.
Her only health complaints are skin itching – allergies and joint pain.
I ensured that she has clean air, filtered water, dietary supplements and whole foods. I realized that I cannot control her worries as she worry about her family in the Philippines. Worries take a toll on her health so I drive her to many places in the bay area and do other activities to brighten up her day.
My knowledge of caregiving, dietary supplements, medications and seniors helped me understand her health needs. She is very aware when a certain medication disrupts her normal body functions. She knows which meds or foods affect her health. I constantly update her on latest research about food, nutrition, medication, brain, senior care and other health-related information.
Below are list of health tools that helped her:
- ginger and garlic
- skin care creams (e.g. Desitin, prescribed cream for skin allergies-itching,baking soda, tea tree oil, coconut oil)
- filtered water, she drinks more than 8 glasses per day
- whole foods (she cooks daily fresh meals – produce from Farmer’s market, eggs from Trader’s joes/Whole food store, fish from oriental supermarket)
- massage (she massages her body)
- daily walks in early morning sunshine
- spending time with best friends and family
- exploring the bay area and learning new things
- living with others (not alone)
- worrying less (anxiety lowers her immune system)
- adequate sleep (she takes calcium and magnesium, Vit D, fish oil /omega 3 , multi-vitamins and minerals)
Facts that justify the need to innovate for our seniors:
- 90% of those 65+ have one or more chronic conditions.
- Chronic diseases account for 75% of the money our nation spends on health care, yet only 1% of health dollars go to improving overall health.
- Diabetes affects 12.2 million, or 23% of, Americans aged 60+.
- 90% of Americans aged 55+ are at risk for hypertension, or high blood pressure.
- Every 15 seconds, an older adult is treated in the emergency room for a fall.
- 22% of seniors live alone and are considered orphans.
With 89% of elderly Americans preferring to age at home, our health systems for this demographic are now more important than ever. However, 22% go without the care they need because of a lack of adequate caregiver support.