C corporation for the practice, structure for max savings and min taxes

C corporation can be the right choice for many small entities because of the deductions it allows.

A C corporation enjoys a full deduction for the cost of employees (including owner employees) health insurance, group term life insurance up to $50k per employee and even long-term care premiums without regard to age-based limitations.

A C corporation can also deduct the costs of a medical reimbursement plan.

Lower Tax Rates for C Corporations

potential income taxes loss

C corporations enjoy their own graduated rates.

Best of both worlds

Many medical practices can take advantage of both the C corp and S corp by setting up two distinct entities to operate different aspects of their practice. The S corp can be used for the operating side of the practice while the C corp can be used for the management functions. In this way, the medical practice as a whole can take advantage of both the tax deductions afforded a C corp and the flow-through advantages of an S corp.

protect your practice

income tax analysis

professional corp

section 79


Contact Connie Dello Buono 408-854-1883, financial planner working with your CPA, motherhealth@gmail.com for a finance and business structure and strategy to save your business significant income taxes


Free 30min phone chat with a sr financial advisor at Harding Financial to help you reduce income taxes using a business structure and financial strategies, connie.dellobuono@hardingfinancial.com or conniedbuono@gmail.com 408-854-1883

Make 2014 and 2015 be the year to protect your wealth and secure your retirement.

 Connie Dello Buono
Jr Financial Advisor

Medical doctors: 2014 tax law changes , impact and financial strategies

tax brackets

How will 2014 tax law changes impact your finances this year and beyond?

Although the top marginal tax bracket was increased to 39.6%, most physicians will have their marginal rate (their last dollar of income) taxed at 28% or 33%, depending on your taxable income.

Understanding tax brackets

Contrary to popular belief, when you earn an additional dollar and cross into the next tax bracket, only that dollar and any additional dollars are taxed in the higher bracket, not income below the threshold. Some people reduce their income for fear of moving into a higher bracket, but only additional dollars are taxed at the higher rate.

Taxes are calculated in two ways, the traditional way and what’s known as the “alternative minimum tax” (AMT). The AMT was established for taxpayers who itemize their deductions and take significant write-offs. It can add as much as $5,000 to $10,000 per year to a tax bill. All taxpayers are obligated to calculate their taxes using both methods and to pay the higher amount.

For taxpayers in higher brackets, most long-term capital gains (a category that includes most assets held for more than one year) and qualified dividends are taxed at either 15% or 20% for federal purposes, plus any state or local tax. The tax rate you pay depends on your level of taxable income. The highest tax rate on long-term capital gains and qualified dividends is 20%.

The Affordable Care Act, however, added a 3.8% Medicare tax for taxpayers with adjusted gross incomes over $250,000 if married or $200,000 if single, in addition to the 20% rate mentioned previously. The tax also applies to rental income and other forms of unearned and passive income. Therefore, your capital gains and qualified dividend tax bracket could be as high as 23.8%.

Itemized deduction phase out

The government also reinstituted the phase out of itemized deductions and personal exemptions if you are married and your adjusted gross income exceeds $300,000 or if you are unmarried and your adjusted gross income exceeds $250,000.

Essentially, this means that you lose some deductions, such as mortgage interest and charitable donations, and exemptions if your income is higher, effectively raising your taxes further. You lose 3% of the amount by which your adjusted gross income exceeds the stated thresholds. Although this provision had been in effect previously, it had not applied since 2009 and has now been implemented again.

Estate and gift taxes

Any person can gift up to $14,000 per calendar year to any other person without paying gift taxes and without reporting the transaction on a gift tax return.

For example, a married couple can each give $14,000 to each child and grandchild. Larger gifts can also be given by filing a Federal Gift Tax Return. Such gifts would offset one’s lifetime exemption, and usually not result in taxes.

The exemption during an individual’s lifetime or upon the person’s demise is currently $5.34 million per donor. To the extent that a taxable estate at death exceeds this threshold, there is a federal 40% tax on the excess.

Subject to certain exemptions, there is also a generation-skipping tax that often applies when passing assets to grandchildren, a technique often used to keep them out of the estates of children, where they would be taxed at a higher rate. This should be considered when doing estate planning.

Even if you do not exceed the new high estate tax thresholds, it is important to update your wills and trusts to ensure that your assets are passing to the intended parties whether they be your children, grandchildren, charities or others.

Payroll taxes have also increased, because the Social Security wage base increased to $117,000 this year. Taxes paid on this level of income fund Social Security and Medicare. Although the employer and employee pay both Medicare and Social Security up to the aforementioned wage base, Medicare taxes apply even to wages, exceeding the wage base, and are in addition to the 0.9% surtax that became law as part of the ACA.

Save about $70k in income taxes through a business structure, contact Connie Dello Buono 408-854-1883 motherhealth@gmail.com who teamed up with financial advisors for financial strategies.

For doctors who do not own their medical practice (in C corp plus another entity) but works with an institution, what type of income do you receive?  W2 or 1099?

a.       If W2, can you have your payroll dept switch a portion of your income to 1099?  For instance, take the base salary as W2, then any overtime or bonuses to 1099?

b.      Do you have a corporation set up?  If so, what is the structure (LLC, S Corp or C Corp?)

c.       If you are stuck with W2 income from the hospital, not much we can do with taxes
on the front end, but we can definitely do financial planning to avoid taxes on the back end.
Note that 401k savings and other investments are taxed later on
(around 40-50% including penalties)


Free 30min phone chat with a sr financial advisor at Harding Financial to help you reduce income taxes using a business structure and financial strategies, connie.dellobuono@hardingfinancial.com or conniedbuono@gmail.com 408-854-1883

Make 2014 and 2015 be the year to protect your wealth and secure your retirement.

 Connie Dello Buono
Jr Financial Advisor

Strategic financial structure for doctors saves $71k in income tax per year

helped doctors save more and protect their cash flow

protect cash flow of doctors

“Anyone may arrange his affairs so that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which best pays the treasury.  There is not even a patriotic duty to increase one’s taxes.  Over and over again the Courts have said that there is nothing sinister in so arranging affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible.  Everyone does it, rich and poor alike and all do right, for nobody owes any public duty to pay more than than the law demands.”

                                                                                                         – Billings Learned Hand (1872-1961) U.S. Court of Appeals Judge

Contact Connie Dello Buono 408-854-1883 motherhealth@gmail.com if you are a doctor or dentist or health care professional who wants to save at least $70,000 in income taxes per year with a strategic business structure and financial strategy. Connie has partnered with a group of financial advisors who have a track record in helping doctors, dentists and business owners in 50 US states save more of their income per year. CA Life Lic 0G60621

Disability income benefit for PA, health care providers and you

Guardian Disability Income Benefit

Contact Connie Dello Buono CA Life Lic 0G60621 at 408-854-1883 motherhealth@gmail.com if you need to protect your income should you become disabled.

I am looking for dentists/doctors who want to buy or sell their medical practice

Let me help you minimize taxes and realize more money in your pocket. I work with corporate lawyers, CPA, insurance agents and other experts in helping doctors, dentists and other health care professionals reduce taxes in buying or selling their medical practice.

I help them have a proper corporate structure to get a tax efficient way of distributing their assets and with the end result of reducing taxes. Both parties, the seller and buyer get the benefit of reduced taxes and proper asset allocation.

Contact Connie Dello Buono 408-854-1883 motherhealth@gmail.com in 50 US states.